Saturday, June 7, 2014

WDW Radio: Podcast Features #1

I've said it before (though not here) and I'll say it again (probably here) that my headphones are the only thing keeping me from losing my mind at work. Typically I'm not listening to music, but instead, I enjoy audiobooks and podcasts. Outside of Mugglenet Academia and Star Talk Radio, my podcast playlist consists of shows centered around love for Walt Disney World.

These podcasts helped inspire me to write this blog so, I thought I would do a series of features on various podcasts that I listen to and tell you how each stands out.

So, where should I start? I was thinking I should start with a feature in the podcast that got me started in my podcast craze: WDW Radio. 

WDW Radio is hosted by Lou Mongello, a former lawyer and IT director from New Jersey who decided to pursue his passion and love for Walt Disney and share it with the world. He started by writing two volumes of Walt Disney trivia before getting into podcasting. Since then, WDW Radio has become one of the most popular podcasts on the web and has been awarded the best travel podcast award every year since 2006.

What sets WDW Radio apart from the rest of the pack, is Lou's honest passion and desire to get as much helpful information into his podcast, as possible. Through his own personal knowledge, as well as a wide variety of special guests, Lou has helped teach people about ways to save money at WDW, what to do if you have special needs, various aspects of the park and greater Disney history, and any other question one may have.

However, WDW Radio is not just a stream if facts, oh no. Lou keeps things light and entertaining through fun segments like "Top 10 with Tim Foster", e-mail segments with travel expert Beci Mahnken, and walk arounds with Disney historian Jim Korkiss. All of this is enhanced by Lou's affable personality which shines whenever he is talking to a guest, whether they be reoccurring or a one-timer.

But that isn't enough for Lou. He takes things to a new level with his Dream Team Project, a charitable organization he runs to raise funds to bring children with terminal conditions and their families to Disney through the Male-a-Wish Foundation. Lou frequently run auctions or other projects to achieve these goals and uses WDW Radio to both promote and explain these wonderful endeavors.

All-in-all, WDW Radio is everything if sets out to be: entertaining, engaging, and informative. If you love Walt Disney World or are planning a trip there, I can't recommend WDW Radio enough.

www.wdwradio.com

No comments:

Post a Comment