Saturday, May 3, 2014

My Top Five Disney Movies

Over dinner my wife asked me, "what are your top five Disney movies?"

Instantly my head started spinning! What a loaded question! How can I pick five? My personal favorites or what I think are the five best they made (very different lists)? Does Pixar count? Live action or just animated? Wow!

So, here are the rules: five personal favorites, all animated, Pixar counts.
My lists and why:

5. and 4. Sword and the Stone/Robin Hood
I can't really choose between these two. They are both fun adventures that caught me when I was young. I believe Sword in the Stone appealed to me--and still does--because I see a bit of myself in Wart: scrawny kid dreaming of a great destiny. Plus, Merlin is wicked cool. Robin Hood is just a swashbuckling good time so what isn't there to love?

3. Toy Story 3
I sobbed like a child fighting nap time when I saw this. Man oh man! The story wrenched at my heart as someone fighting hard to hold on to my childhood. It really got to me and still does. Just a beautiful movie.

2. Aladdin
One critic called it "Disney's version of Indiana Jones" and that spoke to my youthful self! As a fan of Indiana Jones, I can totally agree! Adventure at every turn! Humor and romance are woven in between to create a compelling story that appeals to every audience.

1. The Little Mermaid
This is by far my favorite Disney film. It is one of my all-time favorite movies in general. The animation is completely spot on, letting the artists show their creativity while also being technically sound. I mean, look at Ariel's hair! The award-winning music is breathtaking, upbeat, and inspiring. The story is compelling as are all of the characters. Throw in one of Disney's best villains and you have a masterpiece!

That's my list, what's yours? I'd love to hear what your top five Disney films are. You don't have to go by my rules, either. Like Mary Poppins? Throw it on your list! Like Air Bud? I'll be judging you, but you are free to put it on your list. Any way you mix it, I want to see it! You can post in the comments section or on my Facebook status or Google+ post. Thanks in advance!

No comments:

Post a Comment