Wednesday, April 23, 2014

A Review of Cars

The "Cars" brand is the fourth most lucrative in the world, or so I've read. I believe, too. Two "Cars" movies with a third on the way, a "Planes" movie with another on the way, a dedicated land at Disneyland, a featured area at a Walt Disney World Resort Hotel, toys, games, and countless shirts, shoes, socks, underoos and other apparel. Lightning McQueen and Tow Mater can be seen anywhere you turn. Kids everywhere love Cars and everything about it, so I thought I ought to watch the movie and see what the big deal was all about.

I signed up for My Disney Rewards a couple months back and registered a couple DVDs I had around the house. In doing so, I qualified for a free DVD so I picked Cars so I could give it a look-see. Overall, I thought it was pretty good.

The story was nothing spectacular, but I am far from the target audience and went in knowing I wasn't watching Citizen Kane. I will say that if my 8-10 year-old self had been the one watching Cars, I would have thought it was wicked sweet! It was big, it was bright, it was loud, it was everything a little kid could want in a film!

The animation was Pixar's standard brilliance. Some of the colors seemed to explode off the screen and the landscaping was stunning. The cars themselves moved fluidly and "naturally". Everything you would expect from Pixar.

Characters in the movie were pretty stock and simple, but still fun and entertaining.

I can say that I enjoyed Cars, but I wouldn't say that I loved it. Pixar has set a high standard when it comes to gravitas and emotion which Cars failed to reach. That's not to say it was disappointing, just different, which for some, that might even be a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment